The National Training Center Sports Performance Department offers a variety of programs, training sessions and assessments to assist athletes and teams from beginners to weekend warriors to Olympians in fine-tuning and enhancing their performance.
Our NTC Sports Performance staff is comprised of degreed exercise and coaching specialists to ensure individualized fitness programs and services.
The NTC is proud to be recognized nationally as a USA Triathlon Certified Performance Center.
Running, Cycling, Swimming
- VO2 Max (Maximal Oxygen Uptake Analysis) – This test measures aerobic fitness. The athlete will be taken through progressively more intense stages of running or cycling that will culminate in the athlete’s volitional maximum. Each stage lasts one minute and the end of the test is determined by the athlete. Data can be used to prescribe training zone intensities.
- Lactate Threshold Analysis – This test is used for determining heart rate, pace and/or power zones for endurance training. A full analysis of the data from the test is provided to the athlete and/or coach for use prescribing training. The test is a progressive stage test wherein the athlete begins running, cycling, or swimming at a moderate intensity. The test progresses every 3 to 4 minutes, increasing in velocity, power or pace. At each stage, a small amount of blood will be drawn from the athlete’s finger to determine blood levels of lactate. The test may either terminate at the athlete’s volitional maximum or to just above lactate threshold, whichever the athlete, coach and technician determine is necessary for appropriate analysis and application.
- Running Gait Video Analysis – This test will examine the athlete’s walking and running stride, his or her basic biomechanics and his or her posture. To conduct proper assessments, the athlete will be required to walk barefoot on an indoor surface and to run (with shoes) at several intensities (up to a sprint) on both a treadmill, a grassy field, and possibly on a rubberized track surface.
- Running Skills Sessions –Athlete will work with your our sports specialists to introduce the fundamentals or fine-tune your skills of running. The goal is to focus on improving underlying biomechanics to decrease injury potential and maximize efficiency.
- Mobility & Gait Analysis – This service includes a Postural Assessment, Functional Movement Screen, and Gait (run or walk) Analysis to assess your movement and identify asymmetries relating to tightness and weakness in the body. Following the screening, you will receive a 60-minute private training session to learn corrective exercises to improve movement and gait mechanics to improve performance.
- Metabolic Efficiency Test (running or cycling) – This test assesses exactly what an athlete burns during exercise. The athlete will be taken through progressively more intense stages of running or cycling beginning at a low intensity. At each stage, the athlete’s percentage of carbohydrate and fat utilization will be determined. After the test, the athlete will consult with a physiologist to design a nutritional strategy for training and racing to maximize efficiency.
- Six-Week Periodized Plan – The NTC Human Performance Lab Staff will construct a 6-week periodized plan based upon the athletes’ training history, goals, and competition calendar. This plan may be constructed to prepare for a specific event or goal. Athletes will receive a personal account with TrainingPeaks.com where all of the details to their training program will be uploaded by the NTC staff. They may log their progress and gain feedback from the program metrics.
- Functional Assessment and Functional Movement Screen – This test requires that the athlete perform a series of biomechanical assessments, some of which require him or her to challenge balance, proprioception, and range of motion. A prescription for corrective and/or performance-enhancing exercise will be given to the athlete based upon findings.
- Individual and Group Sport Performance Sessions – Whether training as an individual or a team, our sports performance professionals offer the expertise to help achieve your goals from lectures to training sessions, ensuring the sessions are geared toward specific objectives for the team or individual.
- USA Triathlon Members: 20% on V̇O2 Max, Lactate Threshold, or Running Video Analysis with current USA Triathlon membership
- Package discounts for the purchase of multiple tests